Thread: Update Table

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Table

I have a table that includes one record for each employee for each day of the year. When I need to add a new employee to the database, what's the best way to add the employee to this table? (I have a separate user table to which the aforementioned table is related on the userid field.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Table

You neglected to tell us the version of Access you're using, but in any version this is bad table design. Why do you want 366 records for each employee? Is this by any chance a timekeeping database?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Access 2000. Yeah, I didn't feel too sure about this design, but it was the only way I could find to do what I wanted.

Yes, it is timekeeping--it will be used to log the time in and time out of all employees as the arrive/leave. Therefore, I created a table that had each employee listed for each date and then built a form on that. But couldn't figure out how to add new employees. Could you suggest how I could do this and/or suggest a better table structure?

(BTW, thanks for all your great help on this and previous posts.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have a table for employees, as I assume you do now. Then have a table that holds a record for each employee with the employee ID, the date, the login/logout time, and a field to tell you which it is. A variant of this would be to have a login time and a logout time in the same record. If your employee logs out for lunch, you'd have two records per day with the latter design, 1 for pre-lunch and one for post-lunch, assuming they came back. Or if they logged out for a doctors appointment, same thing. That design it might be easier for you to work with. You only add a record to the second table when you need to, not when the employee is hired. So for days the employee didn't work, you don't have a record. If they didn't come back from lunch, you don't have a record.
    Charlotte