Thread: Access Securtiy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Securtiy

This is about Access 97. Paradox has a very simple password protection system to prevent users from editing data (read only access). This is done at the table level.

On the other hand, I can find nothing in Access that allows me to place read only protection on tables. I have read the security information in Help and printed out a copy of the white paper from MS's site. Frankly, it is too confusing. Also, I have read a number of Access books. They did not cover the security issue very well, either.

Does anyone know of any help that is available for establishing security in Access? Any information will be appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Securtiy

You said you printed out the white paper - I presume you mean the one on setting up security. Unfortunately, that is what you will need to follow if you want to avoid "holes" in your security scheme. You'll need to set up a workgroup as per the white paper (it's highly unwise to goof around with security when you are using the default workgroup - if you make a boo-boo you may find it difficult to get Access back to the way it was again).

Once you have security set up, making a table (or form or report...) readonly is trivial - open the database with an id that belongs to the admins group (see the white paper if you don't understand), go to Tools | Security | User and Group Permissions and set the permissions for whoever is to have read-only access to Read Data (for tables, it will insist on setting Read Design as well when you set Read Data - that's OK).