5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simple Access Report question (2000)

I know this can be done, I am just drawing a blank.
    To put this in the simplest of terms - I have a column in the report called members and at the end of the report I have total members. Members are segmented by County.
    Each Counties members is a percentage of the total members so I put a text box next to each counties members with the following control source - =([members]/[total]). That works. Now I want to sum that calculated field at the bottom. I have named the calculated field's text box "data" and put - =sum([data]) but it comes back and wants me to enter the parameter value for "data". I should be able to add that calculated field shouldn't I?? Thanks for your help.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simple Access Report question (2000)

I am sorry Hans - I am not clear on your answer. I have a field called "client members" that I have named "Members". I have a total for that field that I have named total (in the Report footer). I created a calculated column (next to "client members" field) where the control source is - [Members]/[Total]. I don't understand what you mean by "Replace the "name" of the control by the calculated expression: =sum([members]/[total]). Do I replace it in the detail section or the Report footer? I can "name" a control =sum([Members]/[Total]). Sorry for the confusion.......

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to correct error

In a report, you can't perform calculations across records that involve the names of controls. Replace the control source of the control by the calculated expression:

=Sum([members]/[total])

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I apologize - I messed up the reply while composing it, and it came out nonsense. I have now corrected it. Put a text box in the report footer section with control source
    =Sum([Members]/[Total])

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It still doesn't work. It asks me to enter the parameter value for members and then it asks for the parameter value for total...
    It seems like it should work. Am I doing something wrong?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe this isn't as simple as I thought. I have a calculated column in another report (same scenario) and I can't sum it either. Matter of fact that report gives a percentage of the whole going across but there isn't a total of that column. Maybe this isn't possible. I know it adds up to 100% but it would be nice to see it in the report.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure that it is possible, but it would help if we could see the report, hence the request in my previous reply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I didn't have time to recreate the problem yesterday but I attached a database that I used your suggestion and it still didn't work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this as control source for the text box Text113 in the report footer:

=Sum([sumofMembers])/[Total]

By placing Total outside the Sum, it should work (and result in the expected 100%)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That worked perfectly. I swear I tried every combination but that. Thanks for your help.