Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade from windows xp home (home)

I would like to upgrade my windows xp home to xp pro on my laptop. I purchased the windows xp professional x64 edition, but it seemed that I would lose all of my programs and files, if I installed it. Any advice on how to upgrade without losing files or programs would be appreciated Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade from windows xp home (home)

You probably wouldn't lose much, if any, data, although it would behoove you to do a full backup first using a program such as True Image, Ghost, or Drive Image. You would then be able to fully restore your XP Home version, should the installation go drastically wrong. You would also be able to restore individual files and folders, should you desire to do so. The larger question is this; why do you want to install a 64-bit version of Windows XP on your laptop? It has a 64-bit processor and board? Since you are currently running XP Home, it's highly doubtful. Very few programs will take advantage of 64-bit processing right now; why not wait until your (new) computer is fully compatible with XP-64 Pro? If you want to install the 64-bit version of XP just because you have a copy of it doesn't make sense to me. Just an opinion.
    Liberty

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I stand corrected; installing the 64-bit version of XP Pro requires a clean installation, according to Microsoft. In other words, you WOULD lose all of your programs and data.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Does this laptop have a 64 bit chip in it?

If not, I do NOT think you will be able to install the x64 edition.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I think that Dave has nailed it.
    Is the laptop really 64 bit? Unless it's a brand new model, I doubt it.

Also as Liberty suggests, there aren't THAT many programs available yet to take advantage of 64 bit technology.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And you are going to need ALL drivers for the laptop from the OEM of the laptop for the NEW 64 bit OS. You MAY be OK with the generic drivers that are included with the OS but I do NOT think you will be happy those drivers.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.