Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Symbols and Formatting (2000/SP-3)

We receive information from a variety of sources that has in turn been patched together from many and varied sources. This results in fonts and styles that are many and varied throughout the document. As an aid to the folks that are formatting the final documents, I am putting together a macro to format the text within tables. I was and still am somewhat concerned that setting all the text within a given table to a specific font might replace some symbols with plain text. The limited testing which I have done indicates that this will not be a problem. However, I would like to hear from anyone with a greater insight.

TIA
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Symbols and Formatting (2000/SP-3)

It depends. If you use Insert | Symbol to insert a special symbol into the text, Word protects the symbol from being turned into normal text when applying fonts or styles etc. But if you type a normal character, say p, and manually set its font to Symbol, so that it becomes the mathematical symbol pi, it will be reset if you apply another font or style to the text.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Symbols and Formatting (2000/SP-3)

Thanks for the speedy response Hans. I can handle that by building an array of all ranges that are exclusively Symbol font, and resetting those ranges as one of the last activities--now that you have enlightened me.
    Can anyone think of other instances where the data would be changed from its intended meaning?

TIA
    Regards
    Don