Lounger
    Thanks

Jet Sandbox problems (2003 SP1)

We have an Access 2002-2003 format .mde database in a shared folder on our network that is being shared by several users. All of the users have Access 2003 and only one of them can run the reports launched from the switchboard. One of them was able to run it last week but this week they can't. I don't know what has changed.

I've been doing some reading at various sites about the Jet sandbox but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to do to make this work for all of the users. Can someone give me a step by step approach to troubleshooting?

Is my understanding even close?:
    1)Make sure latest Jet service pack is installed on the workstation - search for Msjet40.dll and check version - install latest if necessary
    2)Once Jet is current, either
    a)set Macro Security to Low
    b)or digitally sign the database(?)

Another idea I haven't tried yet is recreating this database in Access 2002 format. Would that avoid the sandbox problem?

Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Jet Sandbox problems (2003 SP1)

Well, I tried setting the Macro Security to Low and when asked if we wanted to block unsafe expressions we were told the user doesn't have permission to change this setting. Does the user need to be able to make registry changes?

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Whether Sandbox mode is enabled or not is a registry setting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftJet4.0EnginesSa ndboxMode (Source: How to configure Jet 4.0 to prevent unsafe functions from running in Access 2003)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, the database format isn't important; Sandbox mode has to do with the way the Jet engine evaluates expressions.
    Microsoft Office Assistance: Frequently asked questions about Access security warnings contains a lot of information about Sandbox mode.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response Hans. I'm able to change this setting while logged in as admin. However, the user cannot change it. Are you saying that the user needs to able to do this?

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to the MSKB article, the Sandbox mode setting is an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; you probably need admin privileges to be able to change this setting. It's a machine level setting, so if someone logged in as admin changes the setting, it will apply to all other users on the same machine.

Lounger
    Thanks

I can't get this to work. It acts like the problem described in this article Frequently asked questions about Access security warnings

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...981033.aspx#030

"The following is a list of things that might not work properly if you enable sandbox mode before installing the latest Jet service pack:

Wizards may not start.
    Switchboards created by using the Switchboard Manager won't function properly."

However, here is the setup on this machine:

Jet version = 4.0.8618.0
    SandBoxMode = 3
    Access Macro Security level = Med

Changing the security level to Low (SandBoxMode = 2) doesn't seem to make any difference.

The user can open forms from the switchboard but not reports. Although they can open forms for input from the switchboard, when they click a button to launch the report they get a message saying Open Report action canceled. (The button uses DoCmd.OpenReport)

I don't think the db contains any of the expressions that are blocked.

Everything works fine on the same machine when logged in as an administrator.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried setting SandBoxMode to 0 (entirely off)?

If that doesn't help either, there may be some other incompatibility. Can the user open the same report directly from the database window?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

I tried setting SandBoxMode to 0 and it didn't work. The user cannot run reports from the database window. No message is given, it just doesn't open. One interesting thing, they can open C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11SAMPLESNorthwind.mdb and run everything just fine. I tried copying my database to their computer but it still didn't work.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you or they tried other databases?
    What happens if you copy all database objects from your database into a blank new database and let users test that?

Lounger
    Thanks

I had the user who could not run the reports log into another computer where others have not had this problem. They were then able to run the reports. So I guess that means the problem is how their computer is configured(?)

Again, the problem sounds like what is described in the Microsoft information, ie. switchboards will not run. (Although I don't remember it saying anything about not being able to run reports from the database window.) The MS info just says this is a problem related to enabling the sandbox before installing Jet 4.0 SP8.

What about uninstalling and reinstalling Access? Can you uninstall a Jet service pack?

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that if you uninstall Access, you will also uninstall at least part of Jet 4.0, so you will probably have to update Jet 4.0 again after reinstalling Access.

Lounger
    Thanks

I've been busy but heres the latest. The user came to me a few days later and said it was working. Does anyone know if changing the SandBoxMode requires a restart? I will test this.

Kevin