New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting file with PCL codes embedded (Word 2000)

We need to import a file that has embedded PCL codes (for bolding, underlines, etc) into Word. When I currently try to open the file in Word, the File conversion dialog pops up and suggests using the Unicode(UTF-8) encoding. I guess my question is: Is Word bright enough to convert these embedded PCL codes to bolding/underlining by choosing one of these encoding options during the file conversion, or do I need to write a macro that will search for these codes and replace them with the Word normal formatting for bold and underlines?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting file with PCL codes embedded (Word

I suspect that Word itself knows nothing whatever of the "printer codes" data that a printer driver will generate depending on the printer manufacturer/model you chose to send it to.

I would be very surprised also if the PCL codes you find relate only to bolding and underlining, for PCL is quite a rich and variable language, and unless you are very fortunate you would have to do a lot of interpreting/parsing in your macro.

You may have to find a utility that will strip the PCL from the print datastream, leaving you the tedious but feasible task of re-inserting these emphases within Word. Depends on how much printing you are talking about!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting file with PCL codes embedded (Word 2000)

When I first installed OfficeXP and was opening .PRN files within Word, the Encoding conversion dialog appeared. If Word cannot detect the encoding standard, or if it detects an encoding standard that doesn't match the default standard used by Windows, you must verify or choose the encoding standard from a list in the File Conversion dialog box. Word then uses the encoding standard you choose to convert the file to Unicode. You can preview the text to check whether it is readable before you open the file. However in my experience Word didnt convert anything, the .PRN file was opened as a flat standard english readable Postscript code that is sent to the printer.

In my .PRN file for the items I wanted amended I had to write code that searched for the items and replaced them with the correct 'code' configurations.

You can turn off the Conversion dialog by :
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
    2. unselect the checkbox Confirm conversion at Open

diana