2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Settings (Excel 2000 SP3)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the inconsistency between the way Excel and, say, Word handle paper tray information annoying....

but anyway!

What makes things worse is that when I saved a spreadsheet previously (when running Excel 2000 under Windows 2000 - workstation and server), the choice of printer bin would be retained with the file.

For example, I regularly print bespoke invoices from Excel. They are on 4 different colours of paper, so I send my printout (4 copies) to the manual feed on my HP Laserjet 4050 TN network printer.

In the past, if I re-used that spreadsheet, or went to reprint that invoice, it would automatically retrieve paper from manual feed.

Now (and I am now using an XP Pro workstation on a Windows 2003 network) if I reuse or reprint that spreadsheet, the bin choice has been lost, returning to the "Auto Select" option.

I'm not aware of having changed any settings, so what has changed? And can I change it back!

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer Settings (Excel 2000 SP3)

My guess (and it's no more than that) is that Excel "sees" a new printer under Windows XP, even if it is still a HP 4050 TN, so it resets the paper tray settings to the default. If you set the workbook up for manual feed now, is the setting retained?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I've just tested this as you suggest. And, yes, if I create a new workbook, print it at the manual feed bin, save it and close Excel; and then re-open Excel, and the workbook and press print, it does indeed come out of the manual feed tray.

Which is what I want!

So it would appear that the issue is with my (myriad of) workbooks created on my old (Win 2000) workstation. It is these which appear to have lost the setting if I now open them up.

But it is a bit wierder than that:-

I've just opened an 'old' workbook. I know it would originally have been flagged to print to manual feed, but now it says 'Auto Select'. I can change it to manual, print it, save the workbook, shut it and Excel; go back in and re-open the file, and press print - and it comes out of the manual tray - which is what I'd expect (apart from the fact it had annoyingly lost the setting in the first place).

So far, so good.

But I have also opened up files which I know have been created (or amended) under XP in recent weeks, where I know this change to manual feed will have been made - and lo and behold - 'Auto Selet' is the flag.

So somewhere XP is losing - albeit not wholly consistently - the printer tray settings in workbooks.

Bit difficult to expect a workaround for random behaviour, I realise, but the fact of the matter is, I had never had to reset a tray setting in a workbook until I moved to XP!!

So any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Neil

ps. Is printer bin handling any better in later editions of Excel? (ie. in word I always select the bin using Page Setup, whereas in Excel I must go to properties of the selected printer in the File, Print dialogue box.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I can't find anything relevant.

Thanks

After you change and save and close XL, do you send something to the printer and change the settings to something else, before you open and retry the file? You may just get the settings that were last sent to the printer.

I don't think excel stores the setting at all (while word does) and the "random behavior" may be "expected behavior": someone else has sent something to printer between those times and so the setting has changed...

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - thanks for looking anyway.

Steve - the printer is certainly receiving numerous jobs from 3 or 4 workstations, from numerous different applications, in between my printing of 'dodgy' Excel workbooks. But I wouldn't have thought that any of these print jobs would have changed the settings as such.

But your point about Excel not storing the setting, would certainly be relevant. (By setting, I assume you mean some default setting for the printer, rather than workbook-specific settings).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Neil

Thanks

I know the items in the page setup dialog (proper) are saved with the workbook.

What I suspect is that the settings for the printer (changed using the <options> button in the page setup dialog) are settings you are sending to the printer itself (overriding its default settings) at that point in time, for that print job. These are not saved with excel.

So whenever someone sends the "default" settings it "changes" this setting.

If this is true, one option may be to "Install a new printer" (ie a copy of this printer with the options set as desired) and print to this driver. You could give it an appropriate name so you know to send to this one. I have known people to do this for a "Draft" and a "Normal" quality for some printers.

Steve