New Lounger
    Thanks

adding calendar appointments (Outlook 2002, SP3)

i had an outlook crash yesterday. ran the inbox repair tool and was able to get it back. now, when i try to add a calendar appointment, i get this message: "the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists, restart outlook." when i restart outlook, nothing changes. any ideas on how to fix this one?!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding calendar appointments (Outlook 2002, SP3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 09-Jun-05 08:01. )</P>Could be one of several problems including a corrupt appointment.

First I would close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes, and run 'scanpst.exe', aka the Inbox Repair Tool, on all active PSTs.

If that doesn't help, try the suggestions in Darryl's <post#=462526>post 462526</post#>, be sure to first close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes, except
    - don't use the '/cleanrules' switch, and,
    - also try the '/resetfolders' switch

see MS Outlook Command Line Switch Reference for more information.

Post back if these don't help.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding calendar appointments (Outlook 2002, SP3)

i'm sorry to say, i just finished trying these options, and they did not work ...... any other ideas?! would the corrupt appointment file have been fixxed by running scanpst.exe?

Thanks

Re: adding calendar appointments (Outlook 2002, SP

I've seen that error when I filled up my Deleted Items folder! Try moving some items out of the folder in which the new item is being created and see if that fixes it. If so, time for some trimming, or increasing the folder capacity (there was a thread on this just recently, I think the key words are table size).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding calendar appointments (Outlook 2002, SP

As <!profile=jscher2000>jscher2000<!/profile> says, trimming and adjusting folder size is a good next step. If it still persists after that, I suggest that you look at migrating the data into a new PST file. As a general practice, if you start getting a persistent error (that you just can't shake) on something that you use heavily (like an Outlook PST), make sure that you have extra regular backups; just in case it suddenly decides to go totally belly up. HTH
    Gre