Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't use eBay 'Add to Calendar' feature (OL 2000 SP-3)

I'm not able to add eBay items to my Outlook calendar (using Outlook 2000 SP-3 under Windows XP SP2). When I click on the Add to Calendar link in the pop-up window, Outlook says "The operation failed. An object could not be found." When I try to manually download the ical item (right-clicking on Add to Calendar and choosing Save Target As) I get an error saying "IE cannot download popups/ from pages.ebay.com. IE was not able to open this Internet site. The requested page is unavailable or could not be found."

I sent an inquiry to eBay's help center, and they responded that they don't support Outlook. They didn't say that this feature was working properly, but I'm assuming it is. EIther that, or they just blew me off.

I used to be able to do this on my Win2K computer, using the same version of Outlook. I've tried adding pages.ebay.com and cgi.ebay.com to my list of trusted Internet sites, but that didn't fix it. Any experience with this?

Robert

Thanks

Re: Can't use eBay 'Add to Calendar' feature (OL 2

In addition to the Trusted Sites list, you might add the two hosts to the Allowed Sites list for pop-ups. In Internet Explorer, that's Tools>Pop-up Blocker>Pop-up Blocker Settings... Does that will solve it?

When I left-click the link, I get SP2's Open/Save/Cancel dialog. Yours might be different if you didn't ask for confirmation of downloads for VCS files. Try this: in Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options..., File Types tab, VCS, Advanced, make sure "Confirm open after download" is checked. Does that help??

I can see why right-clicking does not work: the link loads a page that pushes the file to you, the link doesn't actually go anywhere directly. So hopefully one or both of the above will take care of the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that helped a little.

I already had IE's pop-up blocker turned off beuase I use Google's toolbar. I have it set to allow pop-ups on eBay.

I tried changing the Windows Explorer settings for vcs files. I checked the Confirm box and now I get pormpted to Open or Save the file. I can save the vcs file and open it manually, but I can't open it during the Add to Calendar operation -- the error is the same.

I compared the settings for .vcs files to my old Win2K computer wher this operation works fine, and found that the command line used the /v flag whereas the XP maching is using a /vcal flag, and DDE is turned off for .vcs files on the Win2K machine. I tried turning it off DDE on the XP machine and changing the flag to /v, and now when I choose Open during the Add to Calendar operation I get a new error:
    "Cannot open file c:documents and settingsrweinerlocal settingstemporary internet filescontent... The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right click the folder that contains the file, and click Properties to check your permissions for the folder."
    (if I leave the flag as /vcal I get the same old error).

When I check properties, I see that the Temporary Internet Files folder is read-only (it isn't on the Win2K machine). I don't seem to be able to change that. I don't see any other restrictions.

Any other ideas?

Robert

Thanks

I don't know. Can you open other kinds of files directly from IE's cache (such as Office or PDF attachments, if you don't open then in the browser window)? Seems that something strange is happening with the cache, but I don't know why.

I'm beginning to think we should move this thread to the IE board....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I open other types of files, like PDFs, PPTs, and DOCs, they open in the browser (and that works just fine). I can download other types -- they go to My Download Files instead of Temporary Internet Files (TIF).

I tried changing the security on the TIF folder to make me the owner and grant me all permissions. Actually, there's no Security tab for that folder, but I changed the parent folder and told it to propagate the changes to all child objects. It didn't help. And I still can't uncheck the Read-Only attribute for TIF.

One thing that's weird: during the Open/Save dialogue for the eBay ical item, when I click Save it goes to Documents and Settings/rweiner/Local Settings. I don't see the Temporary Internet Files folder. I checked, and it's not hidden. I can see it via Windows Explorer. I can cd to it in DOS, but it doesn't show up when I use DIR from the parent folder. So it seems like IE is trying to save the file to TIF but doesn't have permission to do so. After many tests, there are no .vcs or .ics files in TIF.

If you think this discussion should move to IE, how does that happen?

Robert.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My latest thought on this problem is that IE is trying to download calendar items into a folder that doesn't exist. The error message says "Cannot open file c:documents and settingsrweinerlocal settingstemporary internet filescontent... " I'm guessing that if the folder name weren't truncated it would say content.IE5, but maybe not. Anyway, there are NO folders in my temporary internet files folder. I tried creating one called content.ie5, but it won't let me create a folder in that location. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

The folder most likely really does exist. You won't see content.ie5 in Windows Explorer. If you open a command prompt and navigate to the TIF then enter "dir /ad" (without the quotation marks) you should see that folder. Have you checked the security settings in Tools | Internet Options?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right -- the folder is hidden, but shows up with dir /ad. It contains other folders but no files, so I assume that IE is trying to save the item in a subfolder.

The problem isn't just with eBay. I'm having the same problem with opentable.com.

I've tried adding the pages that generate the Outlook items to my trusted zone but that didn't help. I also tried resetting my Internet secutiy level to Medium, Medium-Low, and Low, but still no change.

I've also tried downloading the .vcs file rather than saving it. That worked the other day, but now it gives me the same results as trying to open it. I've tried saving it to a variety of locations. The security settings on the .vcs file look OK.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you changed any Outlook settings? Have you applied any patches or installed any new software?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that both OPEN and SAVE have the same problem. This suggests that some other software, perhaps a firewall or other web security product, particularly dislikes VCS files and is intercepting them: IE thinks it is downloading, but the other software is diverting or deleting the VCS file. Can you find any security product that might be doing this? And tell it not to?

I would return your security settings for Outlook and IE back to "normal," since they should not be responsible for singling out VCS files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'n ot sure which OL settings to look at. It all looks normal to me. The security settings are controlled by IE, so I don't see a point in playing with them. I have the following add-ins listed in the Add-In Manager:
    Google Desktop Search
    AVG Exchange Extension
    Chapura Settings
    Net Folders
    Fax Server Extension

I've tried unchecking them one by one and trying to download a .vcs file, but it didn't help.

I also have one COM add-in: SpamBayes. I unchecked it as well, but not effect. (I didn't reboot, or restart OL after each change).

I run Norton 2003, and the free version of Grisoft AVG (I'm evaluating it to see whether I can drop Norton). I also run ZoneAlarm and Microsft's Anti-Spyware. I tried disabling each one in turn, but it didn't make a difference. I also run ZoneAlarm Free, but it doesn't look at files so I don't see why it would have an effect. I haven't tried disabling it. I have XP's firewall turned off.

I just tried running a Detect & Repair in OL, but it didn't make a difference.

The Office Update site says my apps are up to date.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks

You aren't running both A/V or firewall products simultaneously are you? That is not a good idea.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I don't think this has anything to do with Outlook. The most critical security setting in Outlook is that HTML message bodies should be opened in the Restricted Zone, and in IE, the Restricted Zone should have the highest possible security.

Here's are two plain links, one for a VCS file and one for an ICS file. What are the results if you (1) click and open, (2) click and save, (3) right-click and save target?

http://jscher2000.home.att.net/lounge/4thJuly.vcs
    http://jscher2000.home.att.net/lounge/4thJuly.ics

(Actually, my web host might not be letting these links launch with the correct MIME type. Hmmm... Added: They seem to work in IE but not Firefox...)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Those links worked fine, both when I clicked and when I saved. So I went back to OpenTable and tried again to download a calendar item, and now it works just fine. So does eBay.

The only change I made during the interim was running a virus scan, which didn't find anything. So I'm stumped, but glad it's working!

In response to the previous message, yes I run both anti-virus and a firewall. It's never been a problem. The free version of ZoneAlarm doesn't include A/V.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'll write back if the problem recurs.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks

I did not mean to suggest that running A/V and a firewall at the same time is bad. Having real time detection running for more than one A/V product at a time is bad. Having more than one firewall active at a time is bad.

Joe
    Joe