Lounger
    Thanks

Acress report sort question

I've been asked to create a report in access from a access query that would be sorted by month of the year. the report i generate is okay except that the months appear in alphabetical order instead of by months (january, february, etc.) How can i sort the data the way i want to?

Thanks in advance

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Acress report sort question

I suspect that the field may not be a Date/Time data type.
    Date/Time fields will sort properly by date; text fields will sort alphabetically. What is in the table design for that field's definition?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Acress report sort question

If the field in the database is a Date field, then you need to create a calculated field in the query using the Datepart function: DatePart("m",[OrderDate]). That will calculate the month number instead of the month name. If you sort on that field, the records should be in the order you want. If the field in the database is a text field containing the month name or abbreviation, then you will have to find a way to convert that to month number. An easy way to do that would be to join the table to a new table containing the month Names/Abbreviations in one field and the corresponding month number in a second field.
    Legare Coleman