2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Updates (XP-Pro SP2)

We have a Windows 2003 network, with most workstations running XP Pro. Automatic Updates is enabled (though sometimes I wonder why?!).

I have noticed that Automatic Updates is displaying a dialogue box saying that new updates have been downloaded and are ready to install - no problem with that.

It then says that the install will take place after (I think) 5 minutes, unless the user clicks to postpone this - getting dodgy.

If the user doesn't postpone, or perhaps they are away from their machine and don't see the message, the system automatically installs the updates and then reboots!!! - absolutely unbelievable!

Can anyone tell me how to disable this madness, or perhaps reassure me that prior to rebooting the system, this routine closes all open Applications in a controlled way, saving all data as it does so?

Thanks

Neil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Updates (XP-Pro SP2)

Surely most corporate IT departments will turn off automatic updates, and do the workstation updates for themselves?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Automatic Updates (XP-Pro SP2)

Are the user accounts in the administrator group or some lesser power? You may want to look at Windows Server Update Services. This is the newly released replacement for SUS that can detect more software and has much more flexibility that SUS.

Joe
    Joe