Thread: HD size

crash_course

HD size

before i purchase a HD for my machine i was wondering if anyone knew the maximum size HD that win2k could read/handle. I know when i bought a 40 gig wd for my 98 machine it didnt recognize it untill i broke it into 2 20 gig chunks.
    the drive im looking at is the maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 ... anyone have any comments on this drive?

thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: HD size

If you can afford a HD bigger than W2K can handle, you should be a happy bunny.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=13720>Windows2000faq</A> What is the biggest disk NT can use?

The simple answer to this question is that NT can view a maximum partition size of 2 terabytes (or 2,199,023,255,552 bytes).....

However, it is not that straightforward, but I trust the article clarifies things a bit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I concur with Lief. FAT32, NTFS 4.0 and NTFS 5.0 all have a 2 Terabyte limit. The difficulty you experienced on your W98 box was most likely caused by your bios not properly regognising a drive of that size. Get a new, good board for 2000 and you'll have no problems. Maybe even an older board with a bios update will do the trick.

crash_course

thanks for the input ... both of the machines that i tried that drive in were older (2 years or more) .. but i still thought that 98 had a 32 gig limit on the amount of space it would recognize
    i just got a new machine: p4 1.4 w/ asus mboard so 'hopefully' i wont have to cut the drive up into chunks (untill i want to)

thanks again for the replies