Thanks

Data Type Error in Query (2002)

I created a query where in the field cell is the expression
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Type Error in Query (2002)

If you view the first query in datasheet view, are there any records that display #Error in the 'name' column?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Omega

You have confused me. can you explain

You state that you are sorting it by the first 14 characters of the last name but you search for Allen which is only 5 letters in length. May this error be created by the Left function.....maybe I am missing something?
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll get an error if you try to use a string function like Left$ on a field that is null. Could that be part of your problem?
    Charlotte

Thanks

When I run the first query without criteria I get good data. When I run the first query again with a name in the criteria cell I get one row with every field in it displaying #name?. The field in the table I am using the Left$ function on is defined as text.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I should have seen that. Use Left instead of Left$. Left can handle null values, Left$ can't - it can only handle strings.

Thanks

I didn't know Left could handle nulls. Great. I'll give it a try on Monday. Thanks for all your help. Have a great weekend.

Thanks

Yes that was it. It was the very last record that didn't have a last name in it. I fixed it and it worked.

Now I am having trouble with the second query. I use Name and a criteria of not null and a second column with Name and I use the Left$ function and a criteria on the same row. I know I could have put the criteria in the first "name" column but I wanted to check for data type errors. I would have thought the first "name" column with criteria of not null would have taking care of the same problem I had in the first query. Is that correct? I wonder if Nz would help in this instance. I'll have to leave this for Monday.

Thanks for the help on the first query. I got nulled again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Functions such as Left, Mid, Right and Trim result in a Variant. The result can be a string or Null.
    Their counterparts Left$, Mid$, Right$ and Trim$ result in a String, hence they baulk at null values.
    If you are absolutely sure that you won't have null values, the latter versions are faster and more efficient, since they don't have the overhead of checking for null values. You won't notice the difference unless you're performing huge numbers of calculations, though.