Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

autoexec.nt (XP SP1)

On an emachine that can't be updated to SP2 an error occurs on every boot saying "C:WindowsAutoexec.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application." I have run SFC /SCANNOW trying to repair the system file but it didn't work. I also ran a CHKDSK /R and that didn't help. There is only a RESTORE CD with this computer. How can I replace or repair the AUTOEXEC.NT file? I have tested the MS-DOS window and it seems to run ' DOS commands.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: autoexec.nt (XP SP1)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony55

I don't know because I'm not familiar with using a RESTORE CD. I didn't think one file could be extracted from it. Do you know if I can do that with a RESTORE CD. I don't want to mess up this machine because it isn't mine.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you do not want to overwrite the file during the extraction process then extract it to another location and manually copy it afterwards.

For example the following will extract the autoexec.nt file from the CD in drive D and copy it to the c:windowstemp directory.

<code>expand D:i386autoexec.nt_ c:windowstempautoexec.nt</code>

With restore CD's the computer manufacturer will usually also put a copy of the installation files on the hard drive, check the c:i386 directory.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony55,

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The only places I can find AUTOEXEC.NT are in:
    C:WINDOWSsystem32
    and in
    C:WINDOWSrepair

Since the contents are now largely unused, but have to be "valid", the simplest solution might be to copy AUTOEXEC.NT from the "repair" directory to the WINDOWS directory and maybe also to the WINDOWSsystem32 directory.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks I'll try that becasue I have trid all the suggestions in the link that Tony sent. The only thing I didn't do to the letter was paste into a folder called "%SYSTEMROOT%system32" because I couldn't find any such folder. Anyway it still isn't working. I even copied it as you suggested into the Windowssystem32 folder but not into the Windows folder. I'll try that now.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

%SYSTEMROOT% is an environmental variable which will usually hold the text C:WINDOWS .

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Does that mean that there is no such folder? I wonder why the article would say to paste into it. I tried your suggestions and still no luck. All DOS commands I have tried seem to work. I don't know what to try next.

Thanks for your help.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John. Yes I did try it all except I couldn't do the paste to that %SYSTEMROOT%system32 folder as it wanted. I did paste to the Windowssystem32 folder but that did no good either. This seems like it should have been an easy fix but I have had trouble with this Emachine before like not being able to install XP's SP2 on it. I think he needs to check with Emachine's help desk and see if they have a fix for the SP2 yet. That should also correct this problem if it can now be installed, I would think.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When a BATch or ComManD file runs in a Command Prompt window, the values of environment variables are available to replace their "names".

Thus in the article Tony pointed to, the variable %SYSTEMROOT% gets replaced by its value, usually C:WINDOWS. You should do that yourself where the article talks about the %SYSTEMROOT% folder. It is their shorthanf for "whereever the WINDOWS folder is located" -- it does NOT have to be the C: drive and it does NOT have to be called WINDOWS, although you change this latter name at your peril!

If you have tried all that is suggested there, without making any errors in typing, I am also at a loss...

John

PS Perhaps you could post the contents of your C:WINDOWSsystem32AUTOEXEC.NT and C:WINDOWSsystem32CONFIG.NT and the date, time and size of C:WINDOWSsystem32COMMAND.COM and C:WINDOWSsystem32CMD.EXE?

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most people have found the SP2 update easy and reliable, quite a few of those who did not are people who's PCs had problems before they started with the update.

I would not install SP2 in the expectation that it will resolve a problem like this. It is generally much better to fix whatever is broken rather than trying to do a major update to a system that is not right.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The original message speaks of C:WINDOWS.

If you have C:WINNT that was a change from the default at installation time or perhaps an upgrade from a Windows 2000 installation?

John

PS You are asking for a lot of faith if you post a link which simply downloads an EXE file... Most people would like to see a bit of context!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quote:
    The original message speaks of C:WINDOWS

If you have C:WINNT that was a change from the default at installation time or perhaps an upgrade from a Windows 2000 installation?

John

PS You are asking for a lot of faith if you post a link which simply downloads an EXE file... Most people would like to see a bit of context! "
    End quote

Actually, I made no reference to the original post. I just pointed out that not all installs will have the C:windows folder. Our installs are clean and scripted with no upgrades at all. The hard drive is completely wiped during the first portion of the installation.

Also, I would expect someone to check out any file prior to download so I will edit the path to link to the download page from where anyone can browse to find more information on the company that posted this fix. Additionally, doing a Google on the file name will turn up nothing nefarious but several links to the same file.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are getting a 16 bit subsystem error check out this solution:
    Download the XP fix file at http://www.visualtour.com/downloads

Also, it is possible that some systems don't have a C:WINDOWS folder. Our XP Pro installations all have C:WINNT folders.

-Jester

Path edited to point to the download page for reference and safety.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast