3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Archive Data (2002: SP3)

Each time I start Outlook for the first time after re-booting I get a message something like "The data file Archive did not shut down properly; we are checking for problems," and then the little green scrolling takes about 30 seconds, and then Outlook opens. (I installed 2002 over a prior Outlook). I've tried fixing from the Help/Repair and from just reinstalling with the CD, but I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled. What's going on, and would uninstalling and re-installing work? And if so, do I need to save anything, such as Outlook.pst and Archive.pst, or will they remain unsullied even with an uninstall?

Thanks

kdoc

Thanks

Re: Archive Data (2002: SP3)

Unless some other program is accessing Archive.pst, it should be closed "properly" when you shut down Outlook. Try closing Outlook immediately after it finishes fixing Archive.pst. If that doesn't get rid of the message, you could try the Inbox Repair Tool (ScanPST.exe) on it and see whether that helps.

Archive.pst has a special function as the default PST for auto-archiving, so I'm not sure whether you can just create a new one, copy the existing messages in there, and get rid of the old one. Maybe someone else has some experience with that.

Reinstalling Outlook seems less likely to help, since the problem seems to be with a single data file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interestingly, ScanPST.exe does not exist on my computer (I unhid all files, and still can't find it with Search. Would you tell me how to get it, and how to use it?

thanks

kdoc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try this path "C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemMSMAPI1033SCANPST.EXE"

1033 is the US English folder, if you are using any other language it may be in a different folder (number).

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.