3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Checker (XP Home SR2)

Using Photoshop CS2 and Bridge I get terrible slowing of my computer frequently, enen with 1 Gb RAM, and some of that occasionaly lasts after I've rebooted. I think Disk Defrag does work, and also wonder about Error Checker (checking both boxes to fix the problems discovered). I've heard variable things about these: 1. That Disk Defrag is unnecessary and useless in XP. And that 2. Frequent Running of Error Checker can be harmful to your hard drive. What's the skinny on all of this? Should these be run, and how frequently...and how frequently is safe?

Thanks

kdoc

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Checker (XP Home SR2)

In addition to Adobe Photoshop CS2 requirements (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/systemreqs.html), it is better to have at least 16 MB video memory (this is memory on your video card, not system memory). To check how much video memory you have, click Start | Run, type DXDIAG and hit Enter; then on DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click Display tab.

If system memory usage doesn't become lower after reboot, try to stop unnecessary services. (For more information see, for example, http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml and many other.)

Also you can try to flush your pagefile on startup. WARNING: (1) It will slow down the bootup process! (2) It requires Registry editing - all changes in Registry are on your own risk! To do so, open Regedit (Start | Run, type REGEDIT and click Enter), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSe ssion ManagerMemory Management, select ClearPageFileAtShutdown and modify the value to 1.

Your Question 1: Wrong. Defragmenting the drive can decrease the time necessary to launch an applcation (the time between the moment when you click, say, the icon "Microsoft Word" THE FIRST TIME after bootup and the moment you can use Word). Open Disk Defragmenter, select the drive and click Analyze button. Defrag will advise you ("you need/don't need defragment the drive").

Your Question 2: If under "Error Checker" you mean Event Viewer (eventvwr), you are wrong. Checking events log cannot harm your computer. If you mean CheckDisk (chkdsk), you are wrong twice. CheckDisk is a powerful tool to check, to repair and for some degree to prevent failure of your hard drive. For more information how to use Chkdsk, see, for example, Troubleshooting Tools and Strategies

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've 64 mb memory by your criteria. By error checking I mean the following: Right click C drive--Properties--Tools--Error Checking. I'm not sure if this is the same as the one you mentioned or not (In fact, I've never known what file it is so I can make a shortcut for it. Anyway, to continue my question: Is this a good one to run and is it safe. Would one of the ones you mention below be better (or are they identical to the above, and if so, is there a special way they should be run; I'm not familiar with either? Also I'll try disabling those unnecessary services, but I can't find "Services" under Control Panel; what is another name for it.

Thanks

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

To get to services right click My Computer and select 'Manage'. Then click the '+' next to 'Services and Applications'. Then click on 'Services'

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Error Checking is chkdsk.exe

More about services: http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

The cause of your problem may be the attempt of Photoshop to reach its website (do you have Internet connection available?) for registration and/or update.

It also may be unrelated to Photoshop. How often do you run malware removal programs (as SpyBot or Lavasoft Ad-Aware)?