Thanks

TorrentSearcher 3.5

I installed a search app called TorrentSearcher 3.5 from http://www.torrentsearcher.net on Tuesday, 6/7/2005. Happily, I also run an app called Spy-The-Spy from http://www.mediachance.com/free/spythespy.htm that shows in real time, any changes to folders/directories that I monitor.

When I clicked to install this search app, I was warned by Spy-The-Spy that this app had put a file called WEBVIEW.DLL in my C:Windows folder. What was strange was that it did this BEFORE the actual install started (before I was presented with any agreements or allowed to choose an install location). Hmmm.

I let the program continue the install, then went to look at this WEBVIEW.DLL file. Looking into the binary code and the version info, I saw that the real name was WEBDIR.DLL. I Googled both these names and WEBDIR.DLL came up as advertising spyware! It "looks" like this author is sneaking some sort of advertising app onto people's systems when they do an install of this searching app. I might not have had a problem with that if this info was clearly set out in the terms and conditions. BUT I am not happy that it was installed without asking or informing me, nor that it is masquerading under an apparent fake name or further, that is was put in a WIndows system folder.

I sent a note to the supposed author of this program at info@TorrentSearcher.net but have not received a reply back after 4 days, which would seem to imply guilty as charged.

I've removed this WEBVIEW.DLL file and the search application still seems to work. As always, one needs to be very careful when downloading unknown applications.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: TorrentSearcher 3.5

File sharing apps are notorious for being full of all sorts of bad stuff.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

This ISN'T a file sharing app. It's a SEARCH app.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

My bad. But it is still associated with a P2P network. And I'd be very leery of any software associated with a P2P network - even if it is just a search.

Joe
    Joe