Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Printer: Service or buy new?

I've used a Canon BJC 610 for about 4 years. It's been a faithful machine, and except for being a bit slow by today's standards, I've been happy with it. It's a home office machine--just personal stuff...nothing fancy. I like the four separate color cartridges--it's one reason I chose it in the first place. Lately, the paper feed has been acting up. It tries to pull the paper in from just one side--it's as if the feed rollers on one side have lost their traction. I have to give the paper a little nudge to get it to feed properly. So I'm looking for advice and recommendations. Should I just replace old faithful, or would it be worth it to let someone service it? I've no idea how much it would cost to service it. I do know I paid about $250 for it new, and a similar (but much, much faster) machine today would cost about the same or a little less. What would you do and why? Thanx!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer: Service or buy new?

Personally, if the cost to service the printer is more than 2/5 the price of a new, similar printer, then I'd get the new one.

So in your case, if the service will be over $100 (including parts, labour, etc...), I'd get a new one.

You've had that one for 4 years... it doesn't owe you much if you haven't had any real problems with it.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd back Chris on this, remember most printer come with the option of a 3 year warranty.
    Granville

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can pick up an HP 842 printer for less than $100. Why invest in an old printer. Donate the old one to a school and go buy a new one.