Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Deleted items preview (2003 SP1)

Outlook tells me that I have downloaded mail that looks like junk, and asks if I want to check it. I say I do, and Outlook is almost always right, but I really only see the header and click Delete.

Outlook is not set to delete on exiting, so as to afford me the opportunity of sober second thought (a political term), so the mail remains in my Outlook Deleted Items folder.

If I decide to go through my Outlook Deleted Items folder one item at a time, I see not only the header but the preview as well. On the other hand, I can just view the headers and delete all, or at least blocks of the stuff.

Does viewing the previews by going through the Deleted Items an item at a time compromise my security? Am I confirming the validity of my address to the sender, for example?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleted items preview (2003 SP1)

The rules for the Deleted Items folder are just the same as for any other folder. Security risks are just the same as elsewhere.

You can turn off Preview in that folder by going to View on the Main Menu Bar. For some reason, the Default View in the folder just happens to be set to Preview.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

There are two ways to "phone home" by viewing a message: (1) sending a read receipt; and (2) retriving a file from a web server and getting that access stored in a log. The first can be suppressed using the Tracking options. The second, sometimes called a "web bug," normally is not an issue because by default Outlook will delay the downloading of images until you want to see them. So at least in Outlook 2003, previewing (in the "reading pane") doesn't have to reveal anything to anyone if you don't want to.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the reassuring answer.