2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing problem

In our office, one person can print a spreadsheet in Excel 2000 and it prints perfectly. Another person, using a different computer, can print the same spreadsheet to the same printer (using the same printer driver) and it doesn't print the same. It either will print with a larger font or worse it will print one character per page on hundreds of pages for a small spreadsheet. Everyone in the office originally had the same exact installation of Excel and the same settings.

Doesn't Excel save settings such as fonts and page setup (such as scaling) with the document?

Any clues on troubleshooting this will be appreciated!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing problem

The one-character-per-page points to a printer problem rather than and Excel problem. With my Canon printer, if the cartridge is set wrongly (eg photo cartridge with plain paper) then I get garbage printed. The same document prints ok on another printer with the correct settings.
    Have a look in the printers folder (?possibly under Start Settings Printers) and choose Properties for the printer. Make sure that all the settings are ok. If you have more than one printer make sure the same one is the default or else you have to change it each time. If it's ok there, then from inside Excel look at File Print and then the properties of the printer. If the two computers are physically close, put up the same screens and check that they are the same on both computers.
    What happens when you do a Print Preview? Do both computers display the same sheet?
    Hope this helps
    Ruth

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had this situation once when it turned out to be a bad printer cable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! I think you're right that this must be a printer issue.

I had some of my facts wrong. It appears that certain printers are a problem from any computer, which makes more sense because the printer settings are on our server. Also, when Excel prints a 2-page spreadsheet on hundreds of pages, it is printing a single row at the bottom of the page and not a single character as I stated. The interesting thing is that the single row appears to be a footer or header and not each row of the spreadsheet, as I would have expected.

I haven't found a resolution yet, but I noticed one setting that was different between the "good" and "bad" printers. The bad printers had the "Print spooled documents first" check box checked, so I unchecked it. Strangely enough, I didn't get consistent results, but I could sometimes print the 2-page spreadsheet properly at a "bad" printer after changing that setting. I also changed the default windows printer, which seemed to help more consistently.

I don't think I have the answer yet, but I think I'm on the right track. Thanks for your assistance!