Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't find this virus

Hi,

I have been struggling to get rid of malware/a virus which I think I have. I have downloaded Microsoft updates (as many as I can), run Adaware, Spybot, have installed ZoneAlarm, used System Update and run numerous virus checks without success.

My symptoms are that I cannot run some of my programs, most importantly Task Manager. When I try to start it I just get a funny green icon in the System Tray. This makes me think the virus is stopping me delete it from here. It also stops me running Norton AntiVirus System Update and Windows Update (although with some tweaks I have managed to run some of these). ZoneAlarm tells me it is blocking a huge amount of traffic.

Anybody come across this before?

Thanks, Laurie

Thanks

Re: Can't find this virus

When you run Task Manager you do get a green icon in the system tray that acts as a meter of system usage. Have you tried double clicking on it? If Task Manager is minimised, that is one way of restoring it. However I would expect to see task manager in the task bar too, as in the screen shot.

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Yes, that is the green icon that I get, but nothing happens if you right click or double click on it. I didn't remember seeing that before with Task Manager. I guess it means TM is there and 'running', but the virus is blocking it from displaying.

Thanks, Laurie

Thanks

<hr>Yes, that is the green icon that I get, but nothing happens if you right click or double click on it. I didn't remember seeing that before with Task Manager. <hr>
    You do certainly get the green icon with task manager with all flavours of windows. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Hopefully other loungers will come up with something.

Ian

Thanks

What operating system?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ah yes sorry should have said Windows XP with SP2

Thanks

See if this thread at devhood.com helps - the Symantec Klez page is here.

If you want to give Housecall a go, you'll find a link to it at the top of each individual Forum index page here in the Lounge.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

It definitely sounds like it could be klez, but I ran the tool and it told me I didn't have the virus. Strange.

But better news a friend told me to try Panda Software's virus checker and it seems to have worked. It found virus called Exploit/ByteVerify, W32/Sdbot.DIR.worm and W32/Gaobot.DJK.worm. I can run Task Manager and all other programs, so fingers crossed it doesn't reappear.

Thanks for all your invaluable help.