Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd delete function (Word 2000)

The MS Word on my daughter's PC has a setting that was accidentally set and I don't know how to change it back. When you highlight some text (or graphic) and hit the backspace key it unhighlights the selection and moves the cursor to either the beginning of the line or the beginning of the block (I can't remember which). If you highlight something and hit the delete key you get a message in the lower left corner that says 'Delete block? No(Yes). Have you seen this before? How can I change it so that either the backspace and the delete key will delete the highlighted block? The only way to get rid of the text is to select Edit - Clear; Ctrl X (to cut); or hit the 'Y' key in response to the delete block message. Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer. Lana

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd delete function (Word 2000)

When shortcut keys do not operate properly my first guess is to check whether WordPerfect Help or navigation keys have been enabled at Tools/Options/General.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Fred, I'll have her try that and let you know if it solves the problem.

Lana

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred,
    My daughter unchecked those WordPerfect lines and the delete key now works as expected. Oddly enough, the Backspace key still won't delete the selection, but she's happy to use Delete. Thanks for the suggestion/solution.
    Lana

Thanks

There is an option in Tools -> Options -> Edit that says Tabs and Backspace set left indent. Has she got that checked?

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Ian, she took a look at that setting and it was unchecked. Thanks for the 'heads up' though, amazing how many settings there are that we never use and really aren't even aware are there. Lana