New Lounger
    Thanks

Outpost Firewall Problem

I had Outpost Firewall working fine and it was configured to accept my Internet provider etc. Then I upgradedmy existing Spysweeper to the new version, and suddenly I started getting messages on screen about 'component control' and things being blocked by another application. I had no idea where these messages were coming from i.e whether from Windows or from the Outpost or from somewhere else. But what I have now found is that I have to turn Outpost off in order to get on line, and then turn it on again. I can only assume that the new Spysweeper is somehow affecting the Outpost, since the problems coincided with downloading the new version. No idea what's going on, or what to do about it! Anyone got any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Outpost Firewall Problem

I'm not familiar with Outpost but almost all firewalls provide application program blocking. The better ones check for program changes, tell you something has changed, and ask permission for the changed program to keep accessing the Internet. Have you check the Outpost permissions to see what is being blocked and what is being allowed?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think Joe might be on the right scent here. I've been caught with this before myself, accidentally not allowing a detected update appropriate permissions. From Outpost, click Options -> Application... and remove the program from the list of Blocked or Partially Allowed applications, if it's there. Next time you use it, Outpost should query it and you can set appropriate permissions (just use the suggested ones).

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The problem with most of the anti-spyware and firewall stuff I've got is that it's slightly too sophisticated for me ---I often have no idea what some of the jargon means! Does anyone know which programme is sending me the 'component' info? It comes up on the bottom right of the screen, and doesn't seem to be from Outpost.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Please post a screenshot of the message. Someone may recognize it or be able to track it down.

Joe
    Joe