Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall problem

I am using Office 97 SR2 (the version with Publisher and not Power Point) on a computer at work. I recently began having some problems with the Windows registry settings and unexplained system crashes. My OEM person suggested that I reinstall Windows. I decided that as long as I was at it, I should install a larger hard drive. The old drive (2 Gig) had only about only about 600 mg of free space. My OEM installed the new drive, (20 Gig) as the primary drive and the old drive as the secondary (D) drive. I reinstalled the OEM Office suite and then remembered that I needed to find some way to recapture the macros, autotext entries, and custom toolbars from the old setup. Also need to recover the Outlook information, calendar, contacts, address files, and to do list. Not sure where to start. HELP! Please.

The old files are still on the D drive and if it would work, I might consider uninstalling from the C drive and running things from the D drive. Of course to do this I will have to do some heavy duty work with the file location options. Will this approach work? And what about Outlook files?

In advance, thank you for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Reinstall problem

Larry,

You're best to stick with your new install, since you've got much more room on your C drive.

As to macros, autotext entries and custom toolbars, it's very likely that you were storing them in your old Normal.dot, so if you can locate that on the old drive, that's where they will be. To be on the safe side though, I wouldn't replace your brand-new Normal.dot with the old one, instead I would use Organizer to transfer your old customizations from your old Normal.dot to your new one.

As far as the Outlook information - I got help with similar issues some time ago, from the experts over on the Outlook forum - so it would be worth posting that part of your question over there.

Good luck!

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for the hint. Makes sense. Found the normal.dot for the old install and the new install. Don't want to seem too "stoopid" but I couldn't seem to open both the old normal.dot AND the new normal.dot. I do have to have them both open to use organizer don't I? Of course, I could be totally on the wrong track here. How DO I use organizer? It looks like two files must be open so that stuff can be transfered from one to the other.

In advance, THANK YOU very much.

Larry P

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Larry,

One way would be to do the following:

Use Windows Explorer to locate your old Normal.dot.
    Once you locate it, right-click, select Rename from the popup menu, and rename it to OldNormal.dot.
    Once it's renamed, right-click on the file name again, and this time select Open from the popup menu.

Now, with OldNormal open, go to Format>Style, and then click on the Organizer button.

OldNormal.dot will be showing as the document on the left side, and Normal.dot will be showing as the document on the right (technically, Normal.dot is always "open", even though it's not visible as a document unless you open it as a document).

Anyway, now it's a simple matter to click on each of the tabs (Styles, AutoText, Toolbars, Macro Project Items), and copy the items you want, from OldNormal on the left, over to Normal on the right. When you're done with this process, just click on the Close button.

On last thing - next time you close Word, you will get a prompt to save changes to Normal.dot (assuming you have it set in Options to prompt you - which you should) - say yes so that the changes you made to Normal.dot via the Organizer, will be saved.

Hope that helps,
    Gary