3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print Settings Stuck (2003 SP1)

We have a user who is having problems printing to our Photocopier.

No matter what we do, Word insists on 'remembering' a specific Tray to which it should print: Tray 2.

I have Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Printer.
    I have deleted normal.dot
    I have set Tray 1 as the Default Tray in the Printer Properties Dialog Box
    I have set Tray 1 as the Default Tray in Word's Page Setup Dialog Box

However, Word continues to Print to Tray 2 by Default!??!?!?!

How can I get Word to use the Default Printer Tray, or why won't the Default Page Setup properties stick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Settings Stuck (2003 SP1)

When you set Tray 1 as default in the Page Setup dialog, did you do that just in a document or in the normal.dot template? Whatever is the default in normal.dot will define the default in every new document using that default template.

So, to make the change "stick" - open normal.dot - you may need to search for it depending on your version of Windows, for example WinXP keeps it in Documents and settings<user name>Application DataMicrosoftTemplates by default (although you may have specified a different location)

Use the page setup dialog to change the seetings then save normal.dot. Close it and create a new file, you should find the default tray has "stuck" to the new setting you want. HTH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, however, I'm a bit confused . . .

Isn't that what the DEFAULT button is for at the bottom, left-hand corner of the Page Setup Dialog Box? When I click this button, I get a Prompt:
    "Do you want to change the default settings for page setup? This change will affect all new documents based on the NORMAL template"

I infer from this that normal.dot is being changed. Are you saying this doesn't work and that I do actually have to open the normal.dot file?

Thanks again for your reply.

I look forward to your response. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was taking the "belt and braces" approach. You're right that the "Default..." button should do the same thing. Just one question - is the photocopier set as the default printer on that machine? I suspect that you will only get predictable results if, when you hit the "Default..." button, the photocopier is the active printer for the currently open document (if some other printer is selected then I'm not sure how Word will handle mapping the tray selection for that printer once the active printer is changed to your photocopier). Hope that makes some sense!

Another thing that occurs to me. In reinstalling the printer have you also gone through the process of ensuring that the driver configuration matches the physical installation - for example on the "configure" tab of the printer properties dialog for my printer there are a bunch of options for the specific printer model, installed memory and other optional bells and whistles.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for the reply. I ended up setting up a Macro to switch the Trays for the user.

Very strange though. If I ever get it sussed, I'll report back.

Thanks again for your help and replies. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]