Lrittelm

Auto Paragraph Spacing

In Word 2000, does anyone know what the "auto" paragraph spacing option does? It seems to put 6 pts before & after (when you select auto in both options). What makes it "auto"?

Yeti

Re: Auto Paragraph Spacing

It's a question I've had too. I looked in the vba help, found this:

<hr>SpaceBeforeAuto Property

True if Microsoft Word automatically sets the amount of spacing before the specified paragraphs. Returns wdUndefined if the SpaceBeforeAuto property is set to True for only some of the specified paragraphs. Can be set to either True or False. Read/write Long.

Remarks

When you open an HTML document without cascading style sheets, Word automatically sets the SpaceBeforeAuto property to True to render the paragraph spacing exactly as it would appear in a Web browser.

If SpaceBeforeAuto is set to True, the SpaceBefore property is ignored.
    <hr>

I don't entirely understand, but it looks like part of the html editing facility.<font color=blue>text</font color=blue>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Basically the AutoParagraph spacing overlaps the points after with one paragraph with the points before of the following paragraph. For example, if you have 6 pts after on the first paragraph and 6 points before on the second, there will be 6 points of space between the paragraphs, because the points before and after overlap. If you turn off that option, you will get the 12 points of space between. This can cause LOTS of problems with documents repaginating because the spacing between paragraphs has changed.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Thomas:

I get just the opposite result. With auto spacing on for before & after, I get 14 points between paragraphs (using 12pt TNR). If I use 6 points after on the 1st paragraph & 6 points before on the second, it stays as 6 points betwen the two.

So it seems that auto spacing sets the minimum amount of spacing between adjacent paragraphs. Do you get a different result?