2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solver Runs from Code, but not from UI (XL2003)

Hi,

I have encountered some strange behaviour. I have a spreadsheet within which I have been manually running Solver, exploring solutions. I have also coded the whole process to run from a cmdbutton. Until yesterday, both were working fine. Now, the solver routine runs perfectly from the VBA code, but I am no longer able to access Solver from the Tools/Solver menu. If I create a new, blank file, Tools/Solver does bring up the Solver Parameters dialog, but it refuses to appear in my original spreadsheet. Solver is listed in the available (checked add-ins) and because I am calling it from code, it is also referenced in the VBA project.

I have experienced the reverse of this with Excel 2000, but this was a bug documented in an MS KB article where solver wouldn't run from code, but it was available in the UI. If I recall correctly, it was related to O2k SP1a and I think SP3 fixed that problem.

Any ideas gratefully accepted,

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Solver Runs from Code, but not from UI (XL2003)

Do you mean that
    a) The Tools | Solver menu item is absent from this particular workbook, or
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] The Tools | Solver menu item is present, but it doesn't do anything?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

The Tools/Solver menu item is there and available, but when I select it, absolutely nothing happens.

I have tried deselecting it and then I normally get a warning because it's referenced in the VBA project. I then close Excel and re-open it and Solver has been removed from the list of available add-ins. When I reload Solver, the same thing happens - from code it's OK, but from the UI, nothing happens,

Thanks,

Adrian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would seem that there is something wrong with the installation of Solver. You can try Help | Detect and Repair from within Excel. If that doesn't help, try removing Solver completely, then reinstalling it. You will need to have the Office 2003 CD at hand for this.

- Quit Excel (and other Office apps).
    - Select Start | Control Panel.
    - Open Add/Remove Programs.
    - Click on Microsoft Office 2003.
    - Click Change.
    - Select Add/Remove Components (or something similar), then click Next.
    - Expand Excel > Add-Ins > Solver.
    - Select Not Available in the dropdown list.
    - Click Update.
    - When Solver has been removed, repeat the process, but now set Run from this computer for Solver.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it.

I think it is more likely that there is something wrong with the actual Excel file, since it displays this behaviour on my work PC and both my PC's at home.

I managed to work around the problem by calling the relevant Solver procedure directly from some code :

<font color=red>Sub ShowSolverDialog()
    'had to implement this work around because the "Solver" menu item stopped functioning !!

' Run the Solver macro to display the main Solver dialog box.
    Application.Run ("Solver.xla!Main")

End Sub</font color=red>

I can now run Solver manually by assigning the above to a cmdButton. Not ideal, but ultimately the entire Solver workings will run from code in my app, so the users of this particular file won't need to run it manually.

Regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could try saving the workbook as a HTML file, then opening the HTML file and saving it as a workbook again. Can you run the solver in the new workbook?

Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a change in the code to make this code for Excel 2002? When I initially ran the code, it couldn't find the solver application (it was installed). Once I added the full path to "solver.xla", I get an application error when I run it.

Thanks!

Larry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see why this code shouldn't work in Excel 2002.

In your immediate window, type "? Application.LibraryPath". I get "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11LIBRARY". WIthin the Library folder is the Solver folder which contains the Solver.xla and Solver32.dll files.

I think your system will probably give you something like "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE10LIBRARY". If your solver files are present in the Solver folder in the library, then I don't see why the code shouldn't work for you.

Regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It shouldn't be necessary to include the full path. Are you absolutely sure that the check box for "Solver add-in" in Tools | Add-ins... has been ticked? If so, SOLVER (SOLVER.XLA) should be listed in the Project Explorer in the Visual Basic Editor - see screenshot below.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both if you - not sure why it works now and not before.....but it works....I lowered the security settings to Medium, but then it worked after I raised it again. I ran it from both the local workbook and personal macro workbook. Who knows......

Thanks again!

Larry