Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Add-in compatability (2000)

I'm wondering if a COM add-in (or DLL) built for Word 2000 will run with 97. If so, are there any particular issues to be aware of?

Alan

Thanks

Re: Add-in compatability (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 14-Jun-05 10:27. )</P>I think COM Add-ins for Office didn't exist before Office 2000.

Added: Regarding DLLs, you could invoke those through a DOT file. There are differences between the VBA 5.x that shipped with Office 97 and the VBA 6.x that shipped with Office 2000, which affects things such as the availability of the Split() and Replace() functions. If your DLL is packaged with the newer VB runtime, you probably can transcend these limitations. Obviously there will be some differences between the Office 97 and 2000 object models due to the addition of new features and the makeover of tables to a more HTML-like design. Other than what you can learn through thorough testing, I don't think there is any way to know what unforeseen gotchas there might be related to less obvious changes.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add-in compatability (2000)

Thanks Jefferson. A DLL accessed from a 97 template is actually the situation I was thinking about. I don't think it invokes any of the newer VB6 functions, but it would be built for Word 9.0. Unfortunately I don't have a 97 testbed, so I'll have someone else take a shot at it. I guess the process is the same at their end - just register the DLL I build with VB6?

Alan