Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping Resources (2000--->)

Ok

I am new to this part of the Lounge and have just come rushing back from a Project course!!!

I asked the instructor if there was a way to group resources. The way I looked at it is this:

Invariably I have multi-stream projects where the Project Stream Leaders are responsible for each stream plus (maybe) certain aspects for the development of a deiverable within the stream.

Stream A

Team Leader A
    Programmer 1
    Progammer 2

Stream B

Team Leader B
    Programmer 3
    Progammer 4

etc

Now every week we have checkpoint meetings where Team Leader A, B meet and I would like to have a resource header Project Team in which these people are members. Also when we run off to do our work a Team Leader may be responsible for a specific piece of work so a Task could just be assigned to them. Is there a way of grouping so that I can monitor Resourcing in this way?

I thought I could link back to an Access database or manipulate a Resource Pool mpp file. Any ideas on how this can be done?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping Resources (2000--->)

Welcome to Project!!!!! I think it is a great product and use it a lot.

This is a pretty broad topic so to give you some ideas you can use the group field in the resource sheet to create resource groups then filter views or reports for a particular group. You can also use generic text fields to incorporate your organizations specific data if the existing tables do not meet your needs. With the group field in the Resource sheet you can also use the grouping feature to show subtotaling information for a particular group.

A file called Resource.mpp is typically a file that is created to store a shared dedicated list of resources. Another words resources used in multiple projects. This gives you the ability to view resource allocations accross projects.

If this does not give you any ideas just post back with some additional specifics.

Carla

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping Resources (2000--->)

Thanks for your speedy reply Carla. I wasn't expecting something until the morning when I was back in work.

Now you have said this, the Group field does seem a good idea/solution, I will have a play tomorrow during work time. The reason I was thinking of the Resource Pool was that the project streams invariably are working on specific deliverables such Server infrastructure, I maybe streaming data extraction aspects for uploads to ..... the database developers in another stream. We have the project plans running seperately but sometimes we have to overlap because of specific core skills we may have that cross over. I was planning to collate the Master Project plan in one file and to utilise resource pooling.

Anyway this gives me food for thought, I may get back to you later (within the next 24 hours) as we have a time difference if you don't mind.
    Jerry