3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I put an image of a page into a document? (2000 sr3)

I'm writing up a report. In the appendix, I want to show a tally sheet I created. I'd like this tally sheet to look just like the orginal, only smaller. Every method I've tried hasn't worked in that I don't get the tally sheet's header and footer. I'm sure there's a way, but my brain just isn't clicking in.

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I put an image of a page into a document? (2000 sr3)

Hi

I don't know if I maybe over simplifying this but would a simple screen dump of the Tally sheet be OK? Press Print Screen while viewing the sheet and then pasting it into word.

On the other hand did you want to embed it so that users can adjust it?
    Jerry

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Jezsik,

If you're using Office 2003 or later, you could use the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer print driver to save your form as a TIFF file. You could then embed that into the target Word document.

Another way, with any version of Word, is to convert the form to a PDF file, then copy the form from the PDF as a graphic and paste that back into the target Word document.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried converting some of out text into PDF in order to paste it back into the Word document.
    However, for some reason the page size is always reduced by as much as 20 per cent.
    Also, the PDF looks perfect and clear, but when it is pasted into Word the image is always blurry because it is reduced. Is there anyway to force the size of the image?

Thanks

Re: How can I put an image of a page into a docum

When you paste an image, Word always will shrink it to fit the current margins, if necessary. You can right-click the image and reset its size (you'll also need to adjust either the paragraph format, if the image is inline, or the position, if the image is "floating").

By the way, even if the image seems fuzzy on the screen, if it was saved at a good resolution, it should print clearly (if slightly shrunken).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Canberra,

In addition to Jefferson's advice, the resolution of the image you get from the PDF is dependent on both you screen resolution and the amount you've got the PDF zoomed. The higher your screen resolution, the higher the image resolution will be. Ditto for the PDF zooming.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The original image (see attached) is 14.18 cm high x 12.5 cm wide. When I paste this into Word (using Paste Special as bitmap) it always scales down to 10.11 cm high x 9.53 cm wide. This happens regardless of the margin or page size.
    If I then resize the image in Word the arrowed lines print out very jaggered and fuzzy (see attachment 2).
    Is there a way to insert the PDF into Word so that the size remains the same, and the quality is reasonable?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Canberra,

The 'scaling down' is becuase your pdf is only 5 x 5.3 in. One easy way to get a high-res output is to save the file in eps format from Adobe Acrobat, then insert that as a picture in Word. The Adobe defaults will give a poor looking image on-screen, but the printed version will be fine.

You can change the on-screen version's quality from within Adobe Acrobat via the Transparency Quality/Speed setting. You access this via the "Settings" dialogue box that is activated from File|Save As when you choose the EPS option.

Cheers
    PS: Zipped default EPS file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The printed version of an EPS is only good if the printer driver used is Postscript and the actual printer is Postscript capable.

If you are using a non-postscript output device (eg PCL printer driver) then the printed version is the same resolution as the screen resolution tiff header included in the EPS file. EPS files can also be saved to exclude the tiff header which means you don't even get that on a non-PS printer.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To Paste this into Word, change your zoom. In Acrobat Reader I changed the zoom to 300% and then used the Graphic Select tool to lasso the image (you will have to drag past the edges of the window to get the window to scroll as you drag the selection). Then go into Word and Paste Special.

The resultant image will contain the same number of pixels as the grabbed image so the quality will be three times higher than if you captured the image at 100% zoom in Acrobat.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Andrew!!! That works perfectly.