2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

duplicate entries (Access2000)

Here I am, again, asking for help. I am preparing the database for Christmas and, this year, have much better participation from the other local Christmas projects in checking for duplicates so that the resources can be used to serve the most children. I have offered to track all the children as we have in the past; but since more other groups will participate, I need to do this in a better way. I want to keep all the entries from other projects in a table and have that table and the table of the children served by my project be checked to eliminate duplicates. (our table will not allow duplicates and although it does not notify me of that duplicate until the whole record is done-- this works well enough) and the same for the table of other projects-- We have checked this manually in years past. This year, I want to check against each other and would like it to do that automatically. Any suggestions? Our Christmas project served 1773 kids last year-- the total number of the combined other projects is about 700. I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: duplicate entries (Access2000)

Depending on how you want to check for duplicates, it can be relatively easy or a major undertaking.

If you want to do a straight check on a number of identifying fields, you can create a query based on the table for your project and the table for the other projects. Join the table on the fields that you want to use as checks (there will be a line for each pair of fields).

If, however, you also want to check for duplicates that involve missing values, transposed characters, misspellings etc., you have to do far more work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes, I know how to do that-- and have done that already --with button to run the query--but was hoping that there would be a way to run that query automatically as the new entry is going in and have it pop up the duplicate (just checking for matching full name) then have the DOB show so that we can determine that is is the same child-- I dont mind doing a manual search if a possible duplicate pops up --but dont know how to automate it. Want it to check for duplicates no matter which table we are entering to.--Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could insert code in the Before Update event of the form used to enter a new child. You can use DLookup to see if there is a record in the "other" table with a matching full name. It would probably look very similar to the code you already have to look for a match in the"current" table, so it would be easier for us to help you if you could post the code you are using now.