3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internal margins of triangle (Word 2000)

I often put together organizational flowcharts using Word's drawing tools. I usually use text boxes to hold the text, but recently I needed to use triangles in a couple of spots. When I use text boxes, I sometimes reduce their internal margins, which allows the text to get closer to the box's borders, thus allowing more text in the box.

I discovered that this doesn't work very well in a triangle. I had assumed that by setting the four internal margins to zero, the text would get close to the triangle's borders, just as it does in a text box. I had also assumed that each succeeding line of text in the triangle would be longer than the prior line so that the text would end up in a triangular shape to match the borders. I was wrong on both counts.

To show you what I mean, I've attached a document with a triangle and a text box. I've set all four internal margins to zero on both figures, but as you can see, the text in the triangle is nowhere near as close to the borders as in the text box. You can also see that the text in the triangle is in the shape of a box, not a triangle. It's as if there's an invisible box inside the triangle and text can only be put within that invisible box. There's also a lot of space at the top of the triangle going to waste.

With these limitations, it's almost not worth using a triangle in a flowchart. You just can't get enough text in one and there's all kinds of space that isn't used.

Am I missing something here, or are Word's triangles just not very good?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internal margins of triangle (Word 2000)

Word uses an invisible text box inside the triangle (or any other shape) to store the text. Text boxes are always rectangular, Word does not support text in any other shape.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internal margins of triangle (Word 2000)

That's what I figured. I love Word's drawing tools, so it's a surprise when I come across a limitation. Maybe a Word programmer with an artistic sense will help us out on this some day.

Thanks, Hans.