3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why do my linked tables work? (2000/2003)

I

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Why do my linked tables work? (2000/2003)

Chances are you are dealing with a SQL Server database where the password for the sa account has not been set - which is a gaping security hole. Are you really running it via VPN, or are you using the Remote Desktop feature that lets you use a terminal services client. If it truly is a VPN connection, then the performance should be very sluggish. In general we recommend that you use only Windows Integrated security with SQL Server - and that you always button down the sa and other builtin accounts.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using VPN, not a remote desktop tool, and the SQL Server is very secure. That's why I am surprised.
    I take your comments about Windows Integrated Security, but the SQL Server was set up by a third party, who supplied the accounts and order processing system that runs on it, and they use SQL Server authentication.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you are going in via VPN and getting a connection with no password, that is a worry for sure. It's not uncommon for 3rd party products to use SQL Server authentication because they don't know whether you will be on an NT-based domain. Have you tried using Enterprise Manager from your laptop to connect to the database? It also uses an ODBC connection, and if you can get in with Access, then you probably should be able to get in with it as well. If you can do that, create a small table with a UserID field, set the default value for that field to suser_sname() and add one record. That will store the SQL userID that you are using and let you determine a bit more about how you are getting in. Obviously, you don't want to mess around too much with the database, but that should be very benign.
    Wendell