New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Style Definition (2003. Build 11.5604.5606)

Anybody here know how to definitely turn off automatic style definition? The HELP section advises to go to TOOLS/AUTOCORRECT OPTIONS/AUTOFORMAT AS YOU TYPE and then to clear the Define styles based on your formatting. Well, I did that and guess what? It didn't happen. I'm not surprised but certainly would appreciate help from others who have been there and seen it. Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Style Definition (2003. Build 11.5604.5606)

Maybe what you're seeing isn't styles, but formatting.

The task pane is called "Styles and formatting", and when "Tools > Options > Edit > Keep track of formatting" is checked, it will display manual formatting.

I keep the option checked, to get warned if manual formatting was applied accidentally. "Bold" and "Italic" are fine, but I avoid most other kinds of manual formatting.

You can tell what is what by he icons to the right in the task pane:
    -- Paragraph styles have a

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Style Definition (2003. Build 11.5604.5606)

Thanks, Klaus. I tried your solution but that did not change the presenting problem. As a writer, I like to have free rein over formatting and style---and be able to change formatting mid-document. I will create a centered header with bold type. Then when I want the body in non-bold and flush left, I highlight the text and flush-left the text. Lo! The previously centered header goes immediately to the flush left. The one thing I can do is go to Edit, where I will see a menu item called UNDO AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE STYLE. Now I'm really grinding my teeth. Where is the button that turns this darn thing off?

Thanks

Re: Automatic Style Definition (2003. Build 11.560

One or more of your styles is set to automatically update itself, as you know. The setting is in the style definition and, as far as I know, must be changed for each one individually.

Added: The illustration and my knowledge of this feature are from Word 2002 (Office XP). There might be a handy global setting in Word 2003 that I don't know about.
    Attached Images Attached Images