Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Character Set

Is there a way to make the extended ascii character set available in Access 97?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Character Set

What do you mean by "make it available"?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To clarify, I need to output a string of code (10 characters) to represent a 20 digit barcode in a text file that loads into a printer and prints a USPS barcode.Some of the symbols are from the extended ascii set. The written documents say you can print the codes in MSWord by holding the ALT key, entering the decimal value (ie. Alt+.0165), and releasing alt will print the code character. This does not work in Access, so I imported a table of characters from MSWord, and somewhere here is the trouble. Some of the codes are correct, and some are not. I am confused in a big way. I hope this explains in it a better way. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you Charlotte..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you thought about just getting a barcode font and using it instead?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have looked into this, but I need to output the ascii characters, not the barcode itself. I did try to generate the barcode, which worked very well, but I could not export the barcode to a text file, which is the medium used to run through the printer. Thanks again........

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have an application that prints a barcode by sending the entire Access field to an MS Word document (because I am using Mail Merge), then formats that field with the barcode font in Word because that's where the print is called.

I do not completely understand what you are trying to do, but can't you just use the barcode font as the formatting for the characters directly in the file which is being printed like I do?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Thomas. I am preparing a text file with printer codes and data, to be read by a xerox print station. In this text file, I need to output a character string with the hexidecimal symbol for a stop character, 10 hex symbols (one symbol for each pair of digits), and a stop character symbol. The printer will read the code and translate it into the barcode representing the number.It is not being done in a MS environment, which gives me the problem of the printer not responding to the output code.any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

You can get the correct characters two ways:

1. Cut and paste from Character Map - This is a windows utility found under Accessories/system tools (it may need to be installed).

2. Set the controls datasource to:

=Chr$(xx) & chr$(xx) & ...etc.

Jim.