Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Rootkit Scanners

The term rootkit is used to describe the mechanisms and techniques whereby malware, including viruses, spyware, and trojans, attempt to hide their presence from spyware blockers, antivirus, and system management utilities.

Rootkit Revealer, a freeware program from SysInternals can be used to scan for rootkits but requires some technical skill in examining the results as it will probably list items that are not suspicious. This page has a good description of rootkits.

F-Secure Blacklight is a free beta release that expires on 1st July that scans and cleans systems. It is aimed at all levels of computer users. There is no mention as to the cost of the program once the beta period expires.

These programs work on 32-bit Windows 2000, XP & 2003

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rootkit Scanners

Tony

Some timings may be of interest. On my XP Pro box <UL><LI>F-Secure BlackLight beta took less than 2 minutes and found nothing on the C: drive, whereas <LI>Rootkit Revealer seemed to scan every directory (and maybe executable file?) on each of my hard disks, and took around 32 minutes, with no discrepancies found![/list]John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rootkit Scanners

I had similar results.