5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple parameter selection (2000)

In a parameter query (see attached) is it possible to select (for the first parameter in attached) something like everything that starts with 83 and 86. I know I can put each in by themselves but I want to bring up everything that starts with 83 and everything that starts with 86 in the same query. Is this possible with the attached query? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple parameter selection (2000)

That would become very complicated; you'd have to use two parameters and set the criteria to

Like [Enter SIC Code 1] & "*" Or Like [Enter SIC Code 2] & "*"

but to keep track of all permutations of [Enter SIC Code 1] and [Enter SIC Code 2] being null or not null would be a PITA. If you really need something like this, it would be better to design a form on which the user can enter selection criteria, but even then it wouldn't be easy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I am only going to use the one parameter so the other two parameters will be eliminated so no PITA. It took me a while to figure out what PITA meant. Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can this be adapted so that if they only want to enter the beginning of one parameter and not anything in the other parameter? If they only want to see all codes that start with 63 and hit enter when it asks for the next parameter. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you really want to do this, I would recommend using a form on which the user can specify criteria. You can then use VBA code to inspect the values entered by the user, and assemble a where condition. It's more work in the beginning, but in the end it'll be much more flexible.