New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Log in screen

XP Home. Before installing SP2 a week ago my bootup post screen was followed by the welcome screen & then on to desktop. As sole user & Administrator I never signed in. All very nice. Since installing SP.2. (without problems so far) after the post screen I now get a LogIn screen which asks me to sign in opposite my name.... but there is no name. After trying just about every wriggle to get past it I found the only way is to Ctrl+Alt+Del twice - this gives me the name/password dialog box - but no password has ever been recorded. Experimenting found that pressing Enter without typing anything cleared the D.box and went on to desktop.
    How can I stop this waste of effort? (It happened once before and I was able to go back one stage in System Restore, but can't do that now because it would also clear the SP2 installation.)

I am reasonably familiar with tweaks but hesitate at entering the dark realms of the registry. Any ideas please?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Log in screen

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Change the way users log on or off | Use Welcome screen

Uncheck this setting and you will always have "normal" login dialog (not Welcome screen without possibility to logon to Administrator account).

There are settings in the Registry that allow to logon automatically (without prompting for username and the password), but I would't recommend it for security reasons.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yipee!! Yipee, at last I'm free...

Many thanks kaplinb, I'll think of you every time I boot up. You're brilliant.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Further to my last - the problem returned! Repeating the previous suggestion did not work this time.
    I have however found the following which works well and I report now for the benefit of others:
    Start>run>type 'CONTROL USER PASSWORDS2"> ok>select user account>UNcheck 'User must enter a user name and password'>ok.