2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Messages (2002 (10.0.525))

I am attempting to create an organizational chart from an Excel spreadsheet. I am getting two error messages:
    1) Invalid data: <employee's last, first name>. Make each value in the "reports to" column (field) refer to a valid entry in another field.
    2) Invalid data: <last name>. Eliminate duplicates in the column (field) that uniquely identifies each record.

I cannot see what may be causing these messages. Please help. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Error Messages (2002 (10.0.525))

It sounds like your unique identifier column data contains duplicates. To fully diagnose the problem you would need to post the spreadsheet but short of doing that:
    1. Check the column of data in Excel that you are telling Visio is the unique identifier. This column cannot contain the exact same thing in a second row. This means that listing the surname as the unique identifier is not going to work if you have two Smith's in your list.
    2. If the 'Reports To' doesn't point at a single existing unique record then there will be a problem. Luckily you can have duplicates in this column.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But in my Excel spreadsheet I don't have a unique identifier column. And in Visio I don't see where it asked me to indicate a unique identifier column.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You need to create a unique identifier in Excel. This is usually done by adding a column next to the other data and autofilling it with numbers.
    Then the Reports_To field must contain numbers that point to that data rather than the non-unique surname.

If you can't work it out, try looking at the sample file that comes with Visio and make sure your own spreadsheet follows the same pattern. Alternatively, post the spreadsheet here and I can tell you what you need to do.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia