Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Photos from Word

Have come across cases where I'd like to copy a photo image from a Word document because I don't have the original image file. When I try to copy the image into Microsoft Photo Editor, Kodak (Wang) Imaging, or Jasc Paint Shop Pro, the result is a very crude looking image. It doesn't matter what resolution is used in the imaging program.

Is there a way to copy an inserted photo picture from Word while preserving sharpness?

BAM

Re: Copying Photos from Word

Hi HopTurn,

Try saving the document as HTML. This will extract the graphic and create a separate *.gif file for it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for trying to help. When I saved the doc as .html the result was a page of jibberish characters. Then I tried to save it as .gif, but when I tried to open a blank Photo Editor window appeared with the the error "Could not determine type."

BAM

Could you attach the file so we can have a look?

Lounger
    Thanks

The file is 420 KB -- too big to attach.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

HopTurn,

What version of Word? (Exporting as HTML as BAM suggested probably doesn't work well in Word 97. I'd try and get someone with Word 2000 to export it).

What methods have you used to copy it?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi. Have Word 97 SR2 on NT4W(SP6a) with 256 MB RAM.

I just left-click on the picture to select it > right-click on it > Copy.

Then I open a window of an image graphics program > New > right-click in the graphics area > Paste.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK. What about a screen dump, then cutting the picture with a picture processor (eg Paint Shop Pro)?

You can zoom the screen in (zoom to 150%, or more), then press the "Print screen" key. It's now on the clipboard; past it into PSP.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you copy and paste the graphic into a bitmap editor you may be interested to know that the number of pixels extracted depends on the size the image is when you copy it (Word works in mysterious ways). So make the image as big as possible before copying it to avoid too much pixel loss. The result won't be perfect but it will be better.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Thanks everybody. I got the document saved as .html via Word and all is good now.

Here's what had gone wrong. Before I was using Save As via Netscape Communicator because the Word document was sent to me as an attachment. I would click on the message attachment icon > Save It To Disk > Save As [Save As Type: All Files (*.*)] using <filename>.html. This resulted in the file being saved as .html but as I described before, when I opened the file it was just a display of jibberish characters.

So next I saved the attachment as .doc, then opened it from Windows Explorer, then from Word's menubar, File > Save As HTML. After reopening the .html file I can now right-click on any of the photo images in the it and save them as individual .jpg files with identicle sharpness as in the original Word document.