5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Max File Size that is SAFE (office 2003)

I have noticed that as the ppt file swells over 200 mb that it slows down and sometimes locks up.
    And NO I cannot get the file smaller as there are too many embedded graphics etc to make links to and I want the extra resolution of the graphics.
    Assuming a modern fast notebook with tons of ram and big 60 gig hard drive. What should one break up the file into max size pieces ie 100 mg files 50 mg files?? Or just go with the 200 mb???
    Jerome

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Max File Size that is SAFE (office 2003)

Hi Jerome

There is no simple answer to this one. PowerPoint loads files into memory so the file size that causes problems will change for different users. The following couple of links may help.

Why are my PowerPoint files so big? What can I do about it?
    Linking PowerPoint presentations together seamlessly

Thanks

I teach a class and run a PPT file ranging from 400-1000MB for about 2.5 hours. There are occasional unexplained glitches where the slide will not advance for 20-30 seconds, and on the computer I used a year ago, the build (which is set in the slide master) might suddenly slow to a crawl. Potentially complicating factors include a live Internet connection: I can't rule out the possibility that the computer decided to do an antivirus update or some other network activity so that PowerPoint is not to blame. But I can say that size alone is not the determining factor of whether you will have a problem with slowness (except in initially loading it; if I'm using multiple files, I try to preload all of them).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks I will try this
    Jerome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, and it gets awfully awkard and uncomfortable when this happens. Makes one look like an amatuer.
    Thanks
    Jerome