5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blocked gif files (Outlook 2003)

I have a signature on my outgoing email which contains a small gif file of my company's logo. I recently had a message returned saying "GFI Content Security detected a mail that triggered a content rule. The file was blocked by the attachment checking module at the file name checking stage. The rule is set to block all attachments which end with extension "gif"." I have been using this logo in with my messages for years and this is he first time I have had this happen. Is there any danger with gif files in email. Apparently a spam blocking company, GFi, http://www.gfi.com, makes software that blocks gif files.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Blocked gif files (Outlook 2003)

Does your company run GFI on it's server, or was this bounce form a particular recipient? DId you look through GFI's site: http://www.gfi.com/mailsecurity/.

Perhaps the simplest solution is to change your signature to a PNG (Portable Network Graphic) format.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Thanks

I don't know whether it is an option in your case: our signature graphic is linked from our web site (and the option to send pictures from the Internet is turned off). This means it cannot be viewed when (1) the recipient is offline or (2) the recipient chooses not to have Outlook 2003 display images. So far, no other problems.

And by the way, GFI and many other products can be configured to block files of any extension -- recently many companies seem to be blocking ZIP archives because many viruses send ZIP files; GIF files may be implicated in phishing scans. In any event, this blocking of normally valid file types is a problem that probably will get worse before it gets better.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not using the GFI software. The individual I sent this message to is. It must not be very common for companies to block gif files as this is the first time I have ever had a message bounce for this reason. I seems like over protection, unless there is something I don't understand, a definite possibility.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No I don't run GFI. This was a bounce from a recipient. I have never had this happen before. I did look at the GFI Web site but did not see anything about blocking gif files or if they do, why. I can understand the Outlook 2003 feature that allows you several options as to graphic, but to bounce any message with a graphic seem like over kill to me. Maybe the spam/virus paranoia has gone too far.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As <!profile=jscher2000>jscher2000<!/profile> says, things are likely to be come worse before they become better. It is by no means impossible that other mail-control software will start blocking GIF files as well. I seem to remember that minuscule GIF files have been used to "validate" e-mail addresses used by spammers. If you do not have image software that can convert your GIF file to a PNG file, there are some Open Source products that can do that for you. HTH
    Grüße

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I converted my signature logo to a png file and sent another email to the address that bounced my message with the gif file. So far, after and hour, it has not bounced. The last time in came back within 5 minutes.