3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

green triangle (2002-2003)

I am a high school teacher. This is the first time that I am writing to Woody's Lounge for Excel, since I usually do not use this program. However, the assistant-principal's secretary had a question and I told her I would try to find the answer. This is what she wrote to me:

"While entering information in my Excel spreadsheets at work I have noticed (only on some cells) a small, triangle in the upper left corner of the cell -- sort of covering the upper left corner. It is green-colored. I'd like to know the significance of the green triangle to make sure it won't interfere with the data I enter."

Is there an answer I can give this person?

Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: green triangle (2002-2003)

Hi Alan

The green triangle is the Excel formula error checking feature. If Excel considers that there may be an error in the formula it will display the green triangle. If you select a cell with a green triangle in it the error smart tag appears, click on the smart tag and Excel will tell you what sort of error it has found (as attached image). The error marker can appear even if there is no error in the formula, Excel is just following a set of rules in determining that there may be an error.

To set the error checking options go to "Tools > Option..." and select the "Error Checking" tab.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: green triangle (2002-2003)

Thank you very much. I will give her this information.
    Much appreciated.

Alan