New Lounger
    Thanks

Templates dialog ( Word 2003 SP1)

I have a new machine running Windows XP Professional with
    Microsoft Office Word 2003 SP1 installed.

I am really confused about how to make my own personal document templates accessible from the Templates dialog.

If I follow the path from the Attach Template dialog, Normal.dot appears to live in:
    Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganApplication DataMicrosoftTemplatesNormal.dot

Tools - Options - File Locations also indicates this is where User templates live.

I have added my own templates to this folder, but when I do File - New - Templates - the templates I have added do not
    display in any of the tabs on the Templates dialog.

I tried creating a new folder at the end of Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates
    as the Help says this folder will now display as a new tab in the Templates dialog. However this does not happen. And
    if I go to Tools - Options - File Locations in an attempt to make this new folder the default for User Templates, when I
    click Modify, I can't see the folder in the Modify Location dialog.

I have also tried putting my templates in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates and in folders at the end of
    that path, but I still can't see them in the Templates dialog.

In summary, I have added my templates in all the following places:

Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates

Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganApplication DataMicrosoftWordSTARTUP

Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganTemplatesPF_templates

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates1033

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates1033FAX

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplatesPF_templates

Bu no matter where I put my templates, I can't see them in the Templates dialog.

I am womdering if there are security settings I am not aware of, or whether this problem has anything to do with the different users I have set up on my machine (me and my children).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

PeterF

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates dialog ( Word 2003 SP1)

Just as an experiment, try creating a folder in a very simple location, such as C:Templates and then modifying Tools > Options > File Locations > Workgroup Templates to point to this location.

StuartR

Thanks

I haven't used Word 2003 much, but it sounds as though you've covered all the bases. One thing to try. Create a new blank document and use Save As, changing the type to document template. It should automatically save in the top level of the user templates path. Pop up the File>New>On my computer dialog, right-click the new DOT file, choose Properties, and check the path. Any surprises?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you StuartR. I did this and the templates I put there now display in the General tab of the Templates dialog. You have solved my problem. Microsoft, if you are listening this is _NOT_ properly documented :-(

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the sugggestion J Scher. The path is:
    Cocuments and SettingsPeter FaganApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates

However as you know, I had my templates here and they do not display from this location in the Templates dialog.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The UserTemplates path usually works for other people, so something different must be going on here. However you know have an acceptable solution so I guess it isn't important.

StuartR