Thanks

Macro certification: (MSO 2003)

Make digital sig, but it doesn't show up on Outlook list of certificators. My macros wouldn't run.

So I re-wrote them, and they ran, without any security signature.

Well, that's OK, but how come?

How come they wouldn't "get certified" using selfcert.exe, and how come then when I re-wrote them they didn't even need cerifying?

Don't you certify macros in 2003? And can't you transfer macros from one pc to another in 2003?

Then, one of the macros I copied over didn't run:

Sub WOPR()
    Shell ("http://www.wopr.com"), vbNormalFocus
    End Sub

It ran before (MSO 2000)... What's wrong here?

Exasperated Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro certification: (MSO 2003)

You can still Digitally Certify macros in 2003. Macros do not require digital certification to run; in Outlook the only advantage is to avoid the "do you want to run macros ... ?' prompt at application startup.

I don't understand why your macros wouldn't run initially or why your digital certification wouldn't show, assuming that you tried to install it in the Outlook VBE via Tools | Digital Signature. The Macros not initially running is more likely to be an issue of errors or macro security setting, also some macros need Outlook to be restarted to have their events hooked. Since you did not post the before and after macros there's no way to know.

However you question seems to imply that you copied macros from one machine to another and expected them to run. There are several issues with that:

- Digital signatures do not transfer with macros; Ditial Sigs created by Selfcert are machine specific and must be specifically transferred to and accepted on another machine. They may also be invalidated by OS updates and certain other system-wide actions.

- Macros which are dependent on Folder references and so forth will not necessarily run on a different machine if the PST and internal Folder ID's are different.

Sine you didn't tell much about what you did, or how you transferred the macros, it's hard to know.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Thanks

John:

I went back through the process, and:

After I used certmgr.msc to move the signature to the trusted area, I then went to tolls/Macros, and then into the VB editor, and then Tools/Digital Signatures, and then Choose... And it is THERE that nothing is listed... Even the one I had just made...

Chuck

John:

As (luck) would have it, I'm having issues now (again), after the macros were working last night'

Here's the text in the VBA project:

Sub PSACards()
    Shell ("C:WinAppsInfoPSA Cardscards.exe"), vbNormalFocus
    End Sub
    Sub TenKey()
    Shell ("C:Windowscalc.exe"), vbNormalFocus
    End Sub
    Sub Google()
    Shell ("C:WinAppsCommInternetGoogleGGSearchToolggsearch. exe"), vbNormalFocus
    End Sub
    Sub WOPR()
    ("http://www.wopr.com"), vbNormalFocus
    End Sub

Now it's saying that macros are disabled.

>>Sine you didn't tell much about what you did, or how you transferred the macros, it's hard to know.<<

I DID copy these over, not from another machine, but rather to my "D" drive and then, after re-installing MSO 2003, I copied them back. I figured that transferring wasn't working, so I copied all the text, and thereby re-created all of them to a new project.

Then they worked (last night) and now they don't. I'm getting a message that macros had been disabled, and to look in "Help" -- hmmmmmm

This (below) had worked before in MSO 2K when I had this problem:

Then I went to selfcert.exe, and recreated a personal certification, then went to certmgr.msc, and moved the personal signature to the trusted root... Again, this worked in 2k, and, aamof, came from the WOPR book on MSO 2K...

Once this was done, it had, previously, shown up in the macros list (when I went to execute the macros, I had been given a choice then that had allowed me to enable macros...) And I could pick the signature and trust all macros for that signature, and then I was all set...

But the signature isn't showing up to choose this time. Creation is going as before, and the signature is there when I check, but it's not showing in MSO's macros enabling process.

??

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

How about you run Self-Cert, allow it to create the signature where it wants to by default and don't move the certification - is it available then?

What is your macro security set to?

What process exactly did you use to move the macros?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The signature choice is simply the list of available signatures either already in use or in the Personal Store . It is an expanded version of the same list that you will see if you look under Internet Options|Content|Certficates|Personal in Internet Explorer. Are you sure that you have installed it where it was intended to be installed? HTH
    Gre