Thanks

Active X Controls (I.E. 6 (SP2))

I am having a terrible time here. I recently installed the latest updates from Micro$oft. Now on certain web pages, including MSNBC.com, when I open that page I first get the "Sorry bud we aren't going to allow you to install Active X from this page because we don't know who signed it." box, not the information bar that pops up on top of the page, I click off of that, then I get a window that says "Yo this site is taking you to another site." This also happens on abcnews.com as well. I have both of these sites in the "Trusted Zone", as well as set up correctly in the pop up blocker. I have read thru the help menu on how to disable that warning, and have done that as well. This is totally frustrating, because MSNBC is my home page, and abcnews.com is the second page I visit every morning. I don't seem to be having that problem at least so far with other sites that I visit including this one. Unfortunetly I need Internet Exploder because I have a company web site that won't work on anything else.
    To reiterate; here is what I have done:
    1: Cleared all trusted sites and re listed them
    2: "Enabled" what the help menu said to in order to stop that in the "Trusted / Advanced"
    I am finally irritated enough that at this point I am going to install something else but I need to clear this up.
    Thanks All
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Re: Active X Controls (I.E. 6 (SP2))

>> Unfortunetly I need Internet Exploder because I have a company web site that won't work on anything else.

Presumably that's Internet Explorer?
    Personally, I am disinclined to visit a site that requires me to use IE. Wouldn't it be more user-friendly if you designed your website so that visitors could use the browser of their own choosing?
    Using FireFox, for example, might solve all your problems.

When you get a warning about being taken to another site, is one of them a secure site?

(Literal and accurate trancriptions of warning or error messages might help those who are trying to assist.)

Thanks

Well, Just for giggles I downloaded and installed Netscape 8 (with security updates) and then did a little bit of browsing. I went to msnbc.com as welll as abcnews.com and they both opened up just fine under Netscape. I then changed it to look like I.E. 6, and I got the same results as if I had opened it up in I.E. As for our web site, I was able to open it up just fine, but was unable to download any reports, but was able to see the mapping software that I needed. Looks as if Netscape will be what I use from here on out. I guess that if I really really need to show someone an actual report, I can go back to I.E. for those.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

I read recently that the latest Netscape browser uses IE inside, so it is strange that they behave differently with respect to security zones.

On the security settings, you can completely disable installs of unsigned controls, or you can let IE "prompt" you (or you can let it happen without your consent, but I don't recommend that). This is a zone-by-zone setting, and in theory it should let you control whether your trusted sites work the way you like. Naturally, you should be a little bit skeptical of install notices from any sites with lots of advertising, as it often is not 100% clear whether you are getting a push from the site itself or from one of the numerous ads on the page.