Silver Lounger
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA

Ordering of TOA entries (2003)

Still working on my paper with a TOA (or technically several TOAs).

Within a single TOA (say for Constitutions), is there a way for me to be able to specify how the entries are to be sorted?

For example, we need to put all Articles of the U.S. Constitution ahead of Amendments. So a TA may be "Article 1, Section ...." and another TA may be "Amendment 14". Word puts the latter before the former but this is NOT acceptable.

Another example would be for U.S. Statutes - I may have a citation from "20 U.S.C. section 200" and another from "8 U.S.C. section 514" where the TOA sorts as I've listed here but it needs to sort numerically (and no, I cannot enter "08 U.S.C....").

I tried putting in some extra characters as hidden text in the source to be cited. In the 1st example above, I put a hidden "a" as part of the Article so that my source read as "aArticle..." with the "a" formatted as hidden. But when marking the source, it does not look like the TA field picks up the hidden character even tho it's selected. Similarly, I can't add characters to the l switch of the TA field since the whole thing is hidden anyway; anything I'd add would actually print out in the TOA.

The only thing I've come up with is to make a copy of the TOA table, convert the TOA field to text, and manually sort as desired. Any other ideas?

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Ordering of TOA entries (2003)

It sounds as though Word simply alphabetizes the entries. Your manual method seems like the best solution, as long as everyone working on the document leaves enough time at the end to do it!