4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading User-Level Security (Version 2 -> 2003)

I'm in the process of converting an old Access 2 database (with user-level security) to at least Access 2000 format and preferably Access 2003. I only have Access 2 as a runtime version, but with help from Charlotte (<!post=see this thread,484663>see this thread<!/post>), I've got it converted up to Access 97. I've successfully replaced all the macro code with VBA (what a pain!) and things are all in good order -- including the user-level security (the mdw file seemed to convert fine to Access 97 format), as long as I'm working in Access 97

Now, I'm taking the next step to convert the Access 97 version up to 2000 or 2003 format. The conversion seems to work fine, except that there seems to be a problem with the mdw file. Based on the MS Knowledgebase, it appears that the Access 97 mdw file is usable (as is) by Access 2000 or 2003 (I can certainly "join" that workgroup from Access 2003 and open the converted mdb file; it does ask for name and password and lets me in). When I try to access the security forms (permissions or accounts), I get a "Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'MSysAccounts'" error. I also get this error when my VBA code attempts to reference some of the security information (to see if the current user is a member of a particular group -- to enable/disable certain form controls); see the attachment for the full error description. I've also tried converting the mdw file to Access 2000 and Access 2003 format, but I get the same behavior.

Any ideas what might be causing this? When I look at the permissions in Access 97 (with system and hidden tables shown), I don't see the MSysAccounts table listed so I don't know how to assign a permission to it. I hope I don't have to recreate the mdw file from scratch in Access 2003. There's quite a user list, and I'd like to retain their passwords, if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading User-Level Security (Version 2 -> 2003)

Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading User-Level Security (Version 2 -> 2003)

Thanks Francois. I missed that article when I was scouring the MS Knowledgebase. Drat! I had hoped I wouldn't have to recreate that file!!!