Star Lounger
    Thanks

won't open Acrobat files (I.E. sp2)

Hi all,
    Most of the time I use Mozilla Firefox. Ever since I downloaded Mozilla and made it my default browser I.E. won't/can't open Adobe Acrobat files for me to view online. Most of the time this isn't a problem except for those two or three sites I visit that require I.E. as a browser.

When I click on an Adobe link ie acts as if it is going to work. Then I get a message saying that I need to download Active X. I have said yes to this numerous times. Still I cannot read Adobe files. I have Adobe Standard installed 6.0 and have recently downloaded Adobe Reader 7.0 still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Bret

Thanks

Re: won't open Acrobat files (I.E. sp2)

Version 7 could be the problem. In this recent thread (Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 Integration (IE v6.0)), which sounds similar to your error message, the "solution" was to go back to version 6! However, if you need the form-fill-save capability of Reader 7, this won't help you. Instead, you could turn off the web browser integration inside the reader so that PDFs you download open in the Reader application rather than the browser. (Note: I haven't visited Adobe to see whether there might be any updates on this situation.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It started doing this while I had Adobe 6.0. I think something must have gotten deleted when I installed Mozilla. If I am using Mozilla to read Acrobat files it works fine. The problem is, there are some web sites that I can't download the file from I can only view them on the site. Those sites also happen to be the sites that Mozilla won't work with.

Bret

Thanks

There definitely are links to PDFs that are not direct links but instead use a server-side script to "push" the PDF file to your browser. Right-clicking these usually saves a useless page. But you can force all PDFs to open in Adobe Reader by unchecking the "Display in browser" option. This isn't a real solution to the error you're getting, but it is a possible workaround if you don't find another solution, and you might find that it is more stable (fewer browser crashes) than using the ActiveX or Netscape-style plug-ins to read PDF in the browser window.

Added: If you uncheck the box in Adobe Reader, you should expect to see the Save/Open/Cancel dialog when you click a PDF link. If it just opens, you can get the dialog by changing the "Confirm open after download" setting in Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options..., File Types, PDF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well,
    That didn't help either. Thanks for the very easy to understand directions, visual aides are always welcome. But, that didn't give me what I want either. Still no way to view or download the Adobe files.

Do you know how to really uninstall IE? I have tried via the control panel and Remove Windows componenets. That removes it from view and use but when I try to download and reinstall IE from the web I am told that a newer version already exists on my computer.

I was thinking that a complete reinstall might solve my problem.

Thanks agian,

Bret

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help on this issue. Just to let you know what happened I thought I would post again. I tried Hans' suggestion and went to the Microsoft web site. I followed those instructions tot he letter and didn't get the desireed results. Then a couple of day after having tried the steps from the MS site Adobe started working properly. Who knows?!

Thanks again,

Bret